Monday, March 20, 2017

Life.........

Hello Muses,

Last week ended on a very sad note for me.  We lost one of our support staff, Tope. She was knocked down by a hit and run driver on her way to work on Friday morning. 


I recall getting to the office and as usual calling her across the office for my coffee instead of using the intercom. When she didn't respond, I called the Admin Manager and she mentioned she's not been seen that morning and her phone went unanswered. I was a bit upset because my desk hadn't been cleaned as well and I wondered why she was so late to work.

I told her to try again and alas, we got the news. She had been rushed to Luth Emergency & Accidents Centre by a LASTMA official. I left the office with my Admin. Manager and we rushed to the hospital. We met with family members and did all we could so she could get attention.

Sadly, Tope passed on early hours of Saturday. 

I was very stoic when I saw her lying helplessly with the oxygen mask on her face. I took on my Pastor garb and went into prayers immediately.  I left there calm in my spirit that all was well. I got home and spent that night praying till about 4am. I had so much peace.  I guess I didn't understand what it was.

When I wake up to the news on Saturday morning, I went on my knees and I so wanted to cry but I couldn't.  I just kept hearing myself say - 'Thank you Lord. In all things we give thanks, Thank you Lord.'

I got up from there and faced the day.  Followed up with the family and even went to the market just to take my mind off the issue.

Sunday night and I wept like a broken soul. Add the news of the medical doctor who was returning to church and asked his driver to stop the car and he jumped over the bridge.  I wept some more. All I kept thinking of was how brief life is. How short. How fleeting. Here today, gone tomorrow.  

I thought of Tope's little daughter.  I thought of what are thoughts were that morning.  She had been with us for 5 years.  I thought of the number of times she had come to my office to share her personal issues with me and how we were able to resolve some and oh, I wept so hard. I thought of the Doctor too.  I don't know him but I wondered - did someone in church say something mean to him? did they joke with something painful without knowing? What was he going through that could warrant his throwing all to the wind? I wept until I had no strength in me and then I slept off on the floor. My husband was kind enough to let me grief.

I walked into the office this morning and my Assistant had made sure my coffee was ready so I won't notice but I did. And the pain was fresh again. I've made peace knowing fully well that the office was a place she looked forward to coming to.  She was happy with us here.

Everyday, something is happening around us. Let's take time to notice people.  The cleaner in your office or your housekeeper or your nanny. DO you REALLY see them?  The gateman. The security officer. Your doctor. The lady across your desk. Even the person you don't know across the street. Can we just be kind? It doesn't take anything to be kind. Look at the people around you, say something nice and genuine to them. Encourage, say a kind word.  

Life is short. Very short.

Tope, rest well.

4 comments:

  1. We need to be more mindful. Live more mindful.
    I know exactly how you feel Sis. This is a message I shared with my Salt Talk family on Saturday.
    ***********.
    My Salt Talk Family
    Please help

    Mr. Olu has been cutting the Henry Nelson family hair for years. My MGM, AK, Aniekan and even me. Remember my big bald move some years ago? It was Mr. Olu. He even cut my FatherinLove's hair many times while he stayed with us. Now, he's gone😭

    His life carelessly taken by those who have no regard for life! I wept. I'm distraught. Why is the world so mean?

    Please pray for his family. Young wife, four young children.

    Please remember to live loud.

    I'm here thinking of how my family can express our appreciation to Mr. Olu for being such a caring, considerate Family barber. We must. That's legacy. The way I'm feeling is his legacy.

    **********

    Still it pained me that in all those years I was never mindful enough to ask his surname.
    AK is away. I've not had the heart to tell him Mr. Olu is gone. Thrown out of a bus by heartless one chance robbers. As I wept, all I could think of was ' Ha! How could you not know his full name?'.

    I'm changing. I made up my mind. To really 'see' people around me... To really look and see.

    Rest well Tope. Rest well Mr. Olu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm, the things we take for granted. Thanks so much Salt. Thank you. May Mr Olu rest well.

      Delete
  2. Rest well Tope, Rest well Mr Olu.
    Lord give us the grace to see everyone in our space especially those that make life a little easier for us.

    What's the plan for Tope''s daughter???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Emem. The Company has already put in place a plan for her education.

      Delete