Thursday, April 28, 2011

When Women Gather ..............

When Women Gather

Sitting in this flight to addis and my mind as usual is refusing to shut down and sleep on the five-hour flight.  I'm thinking of all sorts of things, my mind going from work issues to sponsorship issues to personal issues, to life, to love, to children, to needs, to wants, to shoes (which I am unapolegetically crazy about) and then it settles on this group of women I have come to know recently and we come together under a moniker "The Sisterhood". My Minks said it sounded like a cult and I said to her - This is one cult of joy I want to belong to.

These women -three of them- have become my sisters, my friends, my laughing partners, my prayer lifters, and my comediennes. They are not your run of the mill women, they are super accomplished professionals, extremely smart and successful in their various businesses - they all sit on businesses that are well known and well run.  They are beautiful, well heeled, extremely intelligent, fashionable but most of all they are my sisters.

I've always heard this cliche that women are their own worse enemies and when they gather, they only gossip. I have never agreed with this and my sisters have proved me right. This group of women have refused to gossip and have refused to be their own enemies. 

These women discuss businesses, they share strategies, they share ideas, they eat lots of food and cheesecake, they laugh in the restaurant as if they are the only guests and only catch themselves to be of proper behavior.

These women share their pains and joys and successes and failures; they are not afraid to cry, or complain or just be quiet.  I have been among many women, but my sisters are different. I have shared my frustrations and fears and they did not judge me. They did not preach to me or make me feel like a failure. They just held me and made me feel like a queen.   

They are being celebrated on various platforms at such dizzying speeds. The world is seeing them and wondering who they are.  They are quiet, stoic achievers. They celebrate each others successes as if it was novel to the world. They have truly proven to me again that indeed, women are a strong force to reckon with.

When these women gather, they sing each others praises but most of all, we pray. And we eat cheesecake. And then we laugh. And then we pray for each other.

It's Girlfriend's month and to all the girls in my life, allow me sing your praises to high heavens. Thank you for being my sisters. Audrey, Bidemi, Enife and Nneka - may laughter remain whenever we gather.

To my other girlfriends - A-girl my bonkie, Skye my bestie, Minks my second bestie - my daughters - you rule my world, you are my cheerleaders, my sources of super inspiration. You who know my quiet pains and quiet joys. May we be friends forever.

As always, just my musings.................   

No comments:

Post a Comment